Hey guys, what is up. In this particular post, we will be talking about how does temperature sensor works. Also, about its working and its types.
Updated on 05.10.2021
How does temperature sensor works?
Temperature sensors are the gadgets to calculate temperature reading through electrical signs. The sensor is created with the help of two metals. That produces electrical resistance or voltage signals when it finds any deviation in temperature. The temperature sensor plays a crucial role in keeping a particular temperature within any device. Which in turn is used to make anything from medicine to beer/alcohol.
To make these types of things, the perfection and sensitivity of the temperature and temperature control are most important. These are also important to check whether the final product is best. Temperature is the basic physical calculation type in many applications. Specific calculations are important in confirming the completion of these processes. Several applications that are not-so-common, that use temperature sensors.
Temperature sensors working:
Temperature sensor works on the basic concept of working of the temperature sensor is the voltage that is across the endpoint of the diodes. Voltage and temperature are proportional to each other. Whenever there is a voltage increase then temperature also increases. That is followed by a voltage decrease between the terminals of the emitter and base in a diode. Also, a vibrating wire temperature sensor is use. That works on the format of stress change because of temperature change. This temperature meter is made on the concept that different elements have a distinct linear coefficient of expansion with temperature deviation.
It basically contains a magnetic, high tensile strength wire. Two corners of this are fixed to any different metal in a way that any deviation in temperature affects the tension of the string. The other metal in the temperature meter is aluminium. It has a much higher thermal expansion than steel. The deflection in temperature is measure by a vibrating wire sensor. It is then change into an electrical signal. That transmits as a frequency to the output unit.
Temperature sensors are of many types. Each one has different applications. All are use for different works. There are two different categories of temperature sensors that are
Contact type temperature sensors:
Resistance Temperature Detector (RTD):
It is basically known as a resistance thermometer. It calculates the temperature by the resistance of the element of RTD. The metal is make up of different things including platinum, nickel, or copper. Moreover, platinum is the best metal. It is also expensive. The temperature range is from -200 ⁰C to 1750 ⁰C.
The thermocouple is a sensor create by using two different wires containing two different metals connected at two locations. The voltage between two different wires indicates the temperature change. Moreover, the precision of thermocouples is lower than that of RTDs.
The thermistor shows a correct, obvious, and greater change in the variation of different temperatures. This big change shows that the temperatures are show very quickly and also correct.
A thermometer is basically the mercury-fill up in a glass tube. Moreover, there are many types of thermometers available:
- Glass Thermometer: It is fill up using mercury/ ethanol in a plastic tube. Ethanol is the main and best liquid in thermometers.
- Bi-Metal thermometer: This type of thermometer contains a gauge and stem connected with it. The nip of the sensor contains a spring that is finally attach to a rod. The spring is in the inner of the stems sensing end. When heat is claimed to the sensing coil, the motion in the coil is formed. That is the main cause for the movement of the needle in the gauge. It then represents the temperature.
- Gas-filed & Liquid thermometer: Both of the thermometers are the same in the field of work. It contains a bulb that is fill with gas or liquid. This is finally at the sensing end of the study. When it heats up, then the liquid/ gas gets heat up. That signs the rod which is attached to move the needle. In this way, the temperature is calculate.
- Digital thermometer: This type of thermometer uses a material such as RTD or a thermocouple. The temperature is calculate with the help of feeling end. Finally, the temperature displays.
Infrared sensors predict temperature from a certain distance. By calculating the thermal radiations that come from a material or any heat source. The applications for these are basically for high temperature or dangerous environments. Where there is a need to maintain a minimum distance from a body for our safety. Thermal imaging and infrared sensors are the basic types of non-touch temperature sensors. Application of non-contact type sensor involves:
- Fever calculation.
- When the object is moving, for example, a conveyor belt or in a piece of rotating machinery.
- When it is far away when there is a dangerous environment for example a high voltage.
- Or at very high temperature where a touch sensor will not work properly.
In simple words, a temperature sensor finds the temperature of any device which is require, whether it is solids, gases, or liquids.
In the upcoming post, you will be getting information related to working of ultrasonic sensors and insertion and quick sorting. If you haven’t read our previous post on humidity and alcohol sensors then go and read this. Also, stay tuned for the upcoming post.